Friday, April 20, 2007

Nearly done

As always planned, but never mentioned to the students, I have now handed in my notice and next week will be my last week teaching in China. This will then give me the opportunity to do some travelling around (places other than Beijing), something I haven't really done as much of as I would have liked. Then the folks arrive in Beijing at the end of May, a great chance for me to show off the wealth of Chinese language and culture I have picked up (I had to order eight pieces of bread recently as I had forgotten the number 6!!).

Anyhow, being in China one would think that I would have chosen to travel around this great Country, sampling all that it has to offer. But quite frankly, I cant face the Chinese transport system. Its as simple as that. So i'm off to Vietnam and Thailand instead for three weeks. Half the time spent in Vietnam, more of a 'museums and walks' trip, then half the time spent on Koh Pha Ngan, a 'sunbathing and swimming' trip. Thats the plan anyway. Everything is booked and i'm reading the... gasp.... Lonely Planet to try to get an idea of where im going to go. Departure date is set at April 29th, nine days to go - not that i'm counting.

The trip involves travelling by bus, car, over- night train, plane and ferry plus staying in hotels, hostels and resorts. So there is ample oppotunity for things to go wrong, therefore the blog should make for an amusing read in the coming weeks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since when did we become 'the folks'! Speak English (the Queens not American ). Sorry all you people from USA, no offence.
Mam and Dad

David Stokes said...

Your right! Thankyou for keeping me on my toes - its what happens when im surrounded by them all day everyday. I pity Chris when I leave, he has no chance being the only English!

Will Towell said...

When you heading to Thailand?

David Stokes said...

Now then Will!

I get to Bangkok May 7th, then go to Koh Phangan for 6nights.

Where you at now on the grand tour?