Monday, March 19, 2007

Demoted to Ref

Last term, Charlie and I took part in three football matches with the students, as mentioned in an earlier post. In a word, I was rubbish. But it was fairly fun, other than coughing up coal dust for hours after. This term, I was hoping that with Charlie gone, they would maybe not require my services anymore. I was wrong.

One of the students came to my classroom last week, letting me know there would be a game on the coming Friday. Was I free they asked? Unfortunately I was. Great, you can be referee then! Referee? Me? Are you sure?

Armed with red card, yellow card and whistle, I was given the task of refereeing a fairly important match between a Senior 1 and a Senior 2 class. I opted for the fluidity route - i.e. don't really do much and hope they don't spot that I really am not that clued up with the rules. I'm sure they were often offside, but not once did I blow the whistle for that. Thankfully, Chris refereed the second half and took the attention away from myself. Mainly because he gave a dubious penalty (according to the team conceding), that was duly missed and the Senior 2 team scored a last minute winner. As of yet, our services have not been requested for another game!

2 comments:

Charlie said...

watching you refereeing might actually be funnier than watching you play football i reckon! I hope there were no dodgy back pass decisions to be made. They cheated us well badly when we played them!

whats happened to your camera?

Anonymous said...

is "our" team now wearing Barcelona shirts? Well I never!