Saturday, January 20, 2007

Last lesson of term

As a way of rounding off the term, this week I got the students to write letters to my friends and family in England. They jumped at the idea and now I am having to sort through them all, choosing the best for when I get home (bringing 600 is not an option thanks to the 20kg of luggage im allowed!). I was a bit worried at first, as one student put her hand up mid-lesson and asked - 'How do you spell Iraq?', but things turned out just fine. China yet again succeeded in throwing up some interesting moments -

One student asked - 'Which boy is the most handsome?'. The student in question was a boy, who considered himself to be very handsome and wished to discuss that with someone.

Another student asked which friend liked Formula 1, so I gave her Andy's name, telling her he simply adores F1. (Sorry Andy, I lied knowing full well you hate F1).

I made my weekly gaff, when a girl asked me 'Can you show me how to write joined-up?'. A bit of a wierd request I thought, given that a lot of her words were all ready written so. However, being the good teacher that I am, I duly showed her a few ideas on how to do it. After about 2 minutes of this, she stopped me, and said 'No, I mean the actor out of Pirates of the Carribean'. I quickly wrote Johnny Depp and hurried away.

I often say to my students - 'I know your tired, so if you finish your work early, feel free to go to sleep' - and they do :-

No comments: