Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Its all over

Well after nearly five months its pretty much all over, finished. I can still remember with fondness those very first hours, all that time ago. Starting open eyed and full of optimism, new friendships were made and hopes were high. Things were not always smooth running though, arguments often occurred, especially between the Americans and the British, as is to be expected when the Americans mistakenly begin to believe that they are far superior to all. A number of incidents however made clear this obviously is not the case. During the middle months, time did drag and interest started to disappear. However, towards the end and especially during this last month, excitement has returned. Yes, its been great, but finally – Charlie and I have finished watching all seven series of The West Wing.

I think it is only fair to comment about this on the blog, as The West Wing has literally been the main source of amusement for Charlie and me. With little else to do in our spare time, after teaching and in the long periods between the opportunities to go and travel around China – The West Wing has been our saviour. Seven series’, twenty two episodes a series and 40 minutes per episode – you do the maths! But yesterday we finally finished it, leaving me with the question as to what I will do with my spare time when I return from England, with no Charlie or The West Wing. I could always turn to the Sopranos – or even learn to speak Chinese. Nah, that’s probably going to be too difficult!

I would just like to add that we have tried to pick up as much Chinese as possible by ourselves, but even with persistent requests from us, the school has only organised one Chinese lesson since we have been here. I shall be purchasing the necessary books during my break in February and I will make every attempt by myself to pick up the lingo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Next project-- the complete works of Charles Dickens! Read boys read!
Monica