Thursday, November 30, 2006

The truth about football


This week I decided to teach about football. Thankfully the students know as little as I do, so it was a very basic lesson indeed. I first asked the students what two things people often talk about in England? The replies: 'Soccer', 'Beer' and 'Food'. I reminded them all that they were learning English, not some shoddy pretence for a language that is reduced to little more than 'text speak' - American. As for the beer replies, I think I need to tone down my constant referring to the amber nectar.

As a teacher (using the term very loosely!), I realise that I am in a position of trust. Whatever I say is often taken as correct, though not always. So I have to be careful not to give false information, as 650 students will then be misinformed. So, baring this in mind, I went on to teach the students some basic phrases and the workings of the league table. I then also showed them some influential players in the Premier League, both past and present, most importantly of all - Sir Alan Shearer. Described as the greatest football player the Premier League has ever seen, the students watched in amazement as I showed footage of some of his many goals.

This then leads on nicely to Newcastle United, the numerous trophies they have won and how their current form is hiding their true greatness. The students are all ready aware of how poor Hartlepool United are, but I take pleasure in telling the students about their saving of another football team - Middlesboro from bankruptcy not that long ago.

Ok, so I may have stretched the truth ever so slightly. Nobody would call Middlesboro a football team. Only joking. But I do have to amuse myself somehow when im over here.

1 comment:

h dubs said...

"Text speak"...That's interesting...Almost as interesting as that flannel in Qingdao.