Saturday, November 25, 2006

Lets play cards

Tired of being told that I am not playing as many games in my classes as other teachers, I decided to rectify that. Teaching them to play pontoon would be a good idea I decided. My reasoning was that it was a game that would require on the spot numeracy skills, I could teach them some English rules and it is a relatively easy game.

Teaching the game however, is not. It took me about 5 lessons to perfect my teaching method for the students to fully understand the rules. To make matters even more dificult, I now find that playing cards is forbidden from the school. So I am now relying on the students not to tell there teachers what fun they have had in Mr David's class - playing cards.

But, I am persevering as its turning out to be a very successful lesson. The students who aren't exactly playing with a full deck themsevles, are enjoying trying to figure out how to play and the more able students are enjoying the subtle intricacies of the game. Anyway, thats what i'm telling myself as I prepare to be told off should any teacher find out im running a little gambling room right under their noses.


1 comment:

h dubs said...

remember that one night you spent 20 minutes pouring bottled water into the toilet...