Monday, September 25, 2006

Thankyou - Harry Potter!

Stuck with the problem of what to teach this week, plus the fact that during the time I had set aside to plan my lesson I was sat in some dodgy hospital messing around with my toe, I decided to opt for the safe route - play a video. So, what video should I choose? The little angels will not sit still and quiet for more than 2 minutes and constantly con me into believing they understand me clearly when I know deep down they have no idea what the mad lanky Englishman is spitting at them. So, I opted for Harry Potter. Clean, non-offensive and appealing to all (Other than me, which is now a problem as I have to watch the first 40 minutes of the film 24 times this week!).

Anyway, on went the film. Now if you can imagine, i'm playing this movie through my laptop, which is powered by a hamster on a running wheel and has two little tins of baked beans for speakers. Yet, somehow, 35 students at a time sat in complete silence. Laughed at the obvious jokes, gasped at the bad guys and even laughed at some made up magic words that I couldn't understand for love nor money. It was unbelievable. I sat there reading a book, in peace and they listened to the dvd in English with Chinese subtitles (my way of kidding myself into believing im teaching them something!). Not a word was spoken.

Well, if my maths is correct and im rightly told that the films are about 2 hours long - thats at least three lessons worth of material right there. Plus the lesson i'll be able to teach on reviewing what they have watched. This teaching lark is easy, pass me my book!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really you should get Charlie to make a guest appearance and say a few words

Charlie said...

He can't afford the appearance fee. He's already using my Laptop and DVD to show the little buggers.

Anonymous said...

sounds as though you have settled in well, worth it alone for the cheap beer and seafood. confucious say "lift up feet when walking in swimming baths" clumsy bugger! hopefully it won't spoil the bejing trip, you'll just have to ask somebody to go to the bar for you. teresa and kids send their love, keep blog up to date, really enjoy it. byeee...

David Stokes said...

Nice to hear from you Kev. Feel free to spend your night shifts at work venting your hatred for Middlesbrough on here just like my Dad does!

Just been to the local night market again, they have pools of fresh fish just swimming about. Simply point and pick one that takes your fancy. Its great.

I'll phone Teresa when I get back from Beijing, i'm sure there will be more stories of my bad luck for her to laugh at!

David

David Stokes said...

Hi Teresa! Your first post, im impressed! Better than my dads first attempts thats for sure.

Ill ring you when i get back from Beijing, hopefully with no more broken bones.

Speak soon