Sunday, May 13, 2007

Traditional Thai massage

Whilst Hilary talks to her Mam on Skype - ah the wonders of technology, I thought I would just let you know of my experience getting a traditional Thai massage in Bangkok. Before I go any further, I will let you know now, this is entirely PG Rated.
To waste the day we had in Bangkok, Hilary went to get 'girly' things done at the massage place. With 30 minutes of time on my hands - I decided a Thai massage was what the Doctor ordered. In my mind, what could be better - a nice young Thai girl sensually massaging me whilst Hilary goes through hell. Excellent.
Everything went to plan, up to a little room I went, into the loose fitting outfit I got and then the door opened.... and in came a nasty looking old woman. 'Lay down' she ordered. Uh oh. The best way to describe the next 30 minutes would be a series of differing amounts of pain. Slowly working me up to it, eventually I was lying flat over her knees, balanced in mid air. My head next to hers and my feet dangling near hers somewhere. The agony of my entire body resting on one small part of her knees is something I will struggle to forget. After 30 minutes of being too ashamed to say 'please for the love of God stop', the times was up. I went and sat down stairs, feeling like I had been drinking for twelve hours then mountain climbed all day. As Hilary came and joined me, I looked up at the price board. Right below Traditional Thai Massage, for the same price, was 'Thai Oil massage'. I could have cried.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's my boy. Do you ever get get anything right! Why does 'Stokes' Luck' come to mind!
Mam

Unknown said...

You pansy...that was the best massage i've ever had...its a good pain! :)
-Becky

David Stokes said...

Don't worry people - I got a Swedish Oil massage in Koh Phangan. Some chubby bird rubbing Vicks Vapour Rub over me. Don't go running to Hilary though - she was right next to me getting exactly the same!