Monday, December 04, 2006

Funny quotes cont....

Two conversations on different days, exactly the same response, from two different American girls :-

Firstly -

Charlie: Are you going to turn your air conditioning off?
Meredith: What air conditioning?
Charlie: The one on the wall!
Meredith: The heater?

Secondly -

David: Can I put the air conditioning on?
Hilary: What air conditioning?
David: The one on the wall!
Hilary: You mean the heater?

Now a month ago, the exact same machine was called the 'air conditioning', when it was pumping out cold air. Change the setting to hot air and suddenly it changes name. So much so they were not even sure what on earth we were talking about.

5 comments:

h dubs said...

You make an interesting and valid point. I suppose that "air conditioning" is just another difference between our two cultures...sort of like dental hygiene and showering daily.
In rebuttal to your claim that America lacks it's own genuine delicious food, I offer the following: Chicago, New York, and St. Louis Style Pizzas, New Orleans Creole Cuisine. Boston and New England Chowder, The Sub Sandwich, and the authentic BBQ of the Southern States.
In summation, you suck.

David Stokes said...

I think the food comments needs clearing up. What readers of this blog do not realise is that twice now I have been told that English food sucks and that American food rocks. When asked to give me some examples, on one occasion I was offered French Fries and Hamburgers - and on the other occasion I was offered 'we have really nice italian and chinese food'.

Now I am offered three different types of Pizza and a sandwich. I think you are making my argument for me.

h dubs said...

I offered you three distinctive styles of Pizza, a delicious sandwich, amazing soups from the Northeast, the wonder that is Barbeque (only to be found in the US), although I failed to mention the fried chicken, mashed potatoes, cornbread, and collard greens that helped to sustain a multitude of the families populating the South. You have even admitted "English food is no good." I agree. And now I am going to be late for class.

Anonymous said...

bloody yanks. you want a nice traditional english meal like lamb rogan josh or a vindaloo.....
ste

David Stokes said...

Ha, thats the spirit! I like it.