Saturday, November 25, 2006

A load of cockneys

This week I decided to teach about the many differences between eating in a restaurant in England and one in China. The two are almost different in every possible way and it made for quite an interesting lesson (I think?!). However, what I did realise is that the students are being taught to speak like cockneys! I was describing 'duck pate' to them (not an easy task I assure you), when one student shouted out - 'ah - Dack!'. The rest of the class then instantly understood.

Later in the class, I was describing the different ways you could ask for your steak to be cooked - 'Well done - for people who prefer their food without any blood'. Again, a class full of blank faces, so I said - 'Well dan - for people who prefer their food without any blad'. Sure enough, they knew straight away. I appreciate that it is a little too much to hope that they will be taught how to speak like they are from the North-East, its a difficult, yet beautiful accent. But cockney? Its not even the Queens English their learning, they certainly do not teach children to speak like this at Eton i'm sure. 'Sit dahn', 'Stand ap', 'Bat, however' - If I say this they know exactly what I mean.  So in ten years or so, if  you happen to overhear a Chinese man/woman speaking in broad cockney, chances are I taught them at some point or other.


No comments: