Sunday, October 08, 2006

Bai Hei Park



One of my favourite parts of Beijing was Bai Hei Park (sounds like that, probably not spelt like that). Since I have lived in a smog/concrete jungle for the last 5 or so weeks, on of the main things I wanted to do was take a leisurely stroll around a park. It was perfect, even though it was busy, very very busy! From the top of the Bell Tower you could see out over the Forbidden City, which looked very impressive. I think my hands only left my pockets about two times, I was incredbly relaxed.

It was quite amusing how the park, like many other things in Beijing, was apparently over 3000 years old, built during the Yang or the Tang or the Ding Dynasty (Who knows?) but due to an earthquake, it was all rebuilt in 1989. So what we were actually seeing was an 80's impression of what it used to look like. I imagine it didnt originally use as much plastic as they did this time round! I may be exceptionally synical, but given the fact we went during the holiday period and everyone we saw was carrying a digital camera - I think that this is their version of DisneyLand only without Mickey. Im serious, for all the history, for all the atmosphere of the place, it felt more like an attraction than a historical location.

Oh, and we found some more cannons that I simply couldn't resist -


Feel free to add your own caption to this one -



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Ding dynasty...I like it. Did you ever meet up with Ding in China by the way?

David Stokes said...

No, we gave him our email adresses but he never got in touch. I'd write more but i'm hungover and I can't focus properly.